I was born in the 80's but attended middle and high school in the 90's. I was doing a bit of reminiscing about the good 'ole days and couldn't help but cringe and laugh about some of our fashion obsessions in the 90's. Here are just a few of my faves:
1. - The Starter jacket. Everyone owned or wanted a Starter jacket to represent their fave sports team. It became such a fashion "statement" that even those who had no interest in sports got one. I had a Charlotte Hornets Starter hat simply because I liked the colors of purple and teal. Yikes... I never went as far as the jacket though.
2. - The bindi! We bedazzled our forehead and sometimes even got a little crazy and put them on the side of each eye. Oh gosh! Thanks Gwen Stefani!
3. - Overalls but with one strap unhinged. I actually was a big fan of the overalls, I hope they become "in" again soon ,although, I am sure I will be too old to rock the look again. Sigh...
4. - Knee highs. Thanks Cher (from Clueless that is)! I loved this trend and totally rocked in it high school. I only recently thought about it as quite inappropriate for school girls to be running around in mini skirts and knee highs, a pervy high school teacher's dream. Yuck!
5. - How about this one: the spaghetti strapped shirt but we made them even hotter by putting a white t-shirt underneath. Eck!! This will never be a flattering look.
|Even you look silly, Cher...|
7. - Oversized flannel shirts. Guess there were worse trends but this certainly wasn't very figure flattering.
8. - How about ridiculously high platform shoes?! Were we all strippers in training? Maybe some... But you know what was worse than the "dress" shoe were those hideous platform flip flops and the platform sneakers. Yeah, I am ashamed to say I owned them all.
|Who didn't own these?!|
Hope you enjoyed this little trip down memory lane. I have two pieces of good news for you. This is a Part 1 so I will be back with more fave 90's trends soon so stayed tuned. AND....In case you weren't aware the 90's are back!! So choose your trends wisely!!